Monday, December 21, 2009

¡Feliz navidad...prospero año y felicidad!

December 21st email:
I want to wish you a merry Christmas! I want to wish you a merry Christmas, I want to wish you a merry Christmas from the bottom of my heart! I taught this song to my companion (Hna. Hernandez) and when she sings it, it sounds a little something like this: I want to wesh you a miri critchmash...from de butum of mi hirt! I am not making fun, I love her from the butum of mi hirt...but it a little reminds me of "A Christmas Story" when the family has to go out to eat at the Chinese restaurant...

Another transfer come and gone...and full of more changes! Hna. Hernandez got transferred to Terminal (the area right next to mine) and I was given a mini-missionary (or a local missionary)...I am with a sweet girl named Josefina Barrios and she is 18 years old, just finished high school. She is a really great missionary and we get a long really well. I am not going to lie, I was scared to death when they told me. But, once again the Lord has given me an opportunity to learn and progress. Having a mini can be pretty tough, mostly because they get no missionary training whatsoever, but she has been a big blessing! Unfortunately, she can only be with me until the 24th, so the mission is looking for another companion to replace her. I may have to wait until the 1st or 2nd of January...in which case I will be with Hna. Gilman and Hna. Marilaf to work for a few days. I get to spend Christmas Eve with the family of Hna. Barrios and I am really excited, it has been really fun working with her, and I will def miss not having her as a companion.



Yesterday was another great day at church. Even with transfers, being with a mini and the holidays, we had 6 investigators come to church. One of the investigators, Pedro, was really excited after because all the members invited him to activities. He is really shy and doesn´t talk much, but he is really starting to open up to us. He is friends with a recent convert named Alejandro who is preparing to receive the Priesthood this coming Sunday. In my short time here I have seen him progress a lot and he is even talking about serving a mission, so that is exciting. He comes with us to teach investigators and also introduces us to all his neighbors...It makes me happy to see him progress so well.
In the middle of church the lights cut out because everyone was using their ceiling fans and air conditioners. It was extremely hot and hard to concentrate...then Martín Martinez, one of the Young Men (he is 14) got up to give the opening prayer in Sacrament meeting and asked Heavenly Father to please let the lights come back so we could enjoy the meeting. I thought to myself, that was odd...and then as soon as he said "amen" the lights came right on. Everyone was pretty surprised and I am pretty sure I heard someone clap...not sure if it was an adult or a child. Anyway, we could all enjoy the meeting with air conditioning and a microphone...then, the branch president got up to give his message and compared the humble and faithful prayer of Martin, to the prayer of Joseph Smith. Both asked to receive light, and it was given in one form or another. He also pointed out that only a child (or young boy) would be humble enough to ask for something like electricity in a Sacrament Meeting prayer. As adults we believe that it is inappropriate to ask for something so simple in a formal prayer to begin a meeting. It was incredibly strong the spirit that was felt. It seems so small and simple, but I learned a big lesson. He testified very boldly that the Lord answers our prayers and that this was a testimony to him that the Lord answered the prayer of Joseph Smith as well. The spirit continued very strong throughout the meeting. It was the most reverence I had ever seen in a Sacrament Meeting in Argentina.

We are having a dinner/service activity as a ward to celebrate Christmas in a orphanage for girls. My companion and I are in charge of the decorations and singing a song, and a member is dressing up like Santa to give out presents.. We have a girl in our ward who used to live in the home and is going to share a spiritual message...I will be sure and send pictures.
The spirit of the season is strong here in Argentina! I am happy, healthy and trying to keep up with all the Lord has given to me. I hope you are all able to look around you and find ways to serve, ways to love and lift those who have fallen. We are all in need of something, and we all have something special to give.

Stay awesome!
xoxo
Hna. Schmutz

No comments: