Monday, May 3, 2010

Fasting

Excerpt from May 3rd email:
"I am really doing great, enjoying some cooler weather and some RAIN! I think I will miss the rain storms in Argentina. When it rains here it really means it, nothing like the sprinkle showers we get in Utah...that is so pansy. Anyway, things here are good and I am adapting to having a new companion. She really is perfect for helping me finish out my mission and we have already seen a lot of success together.
The miracle of the week is that the branch leaders decided that they wanted to help us get 5 baptisms on the 15th of May and they all worked really hard to follow through. It looks like we will have at least 3...and we are very happy and busy. The members have also been giving us great references lately and it is exciting to see progression in Parque. I can't help but think about all the changes that have been made here in the last 6 months...it almost brings me to tears just thinking about it. Yesterday in church, Vanesa gave the closing prayer and Juanchi (an 18 year old who used to be inactive but is now preparing to be ordained an elder and then HOPEFULLY go on a mission and no that isn't his name it's a nickname) gave the opening prayer. They also both shared their testimonies and I felt like a proud mom...it makes me so grateful to have been a part of their conversion/progression process. The Lord is able to help us do so many things if we just rely on Him.
My testimony of fasting was once again strengthened this week. We fasted with one of our investigators who has been waiting to get divorced for a really long time. He has been an investigator for almost 11 years and hasn't ever had the opportunity to fast. He started on Saturday and in doing so had to turn down an invitation to a BBQ...I think it was hard for him, but the Lord does bless us for the sacrifices we are willing to make. We haven't seen the divorce come through, but I saw him a lot happier and calmer yesterday in church. My companion and I also saw some of the blessings in our work, and it gave us the strength we needed to finish out our week strongly. Presidente del Castillo once told us in a Zone Conference that we should be fasting once a week as missionaries...I thought that was kind of a lot to ask and decided not to do it at first because I didn't want to "abuse the power" of fasting. Then, he repeated himself on another occasion and I decided to put it in practice. I have seen a big difference in my diligence and in my desire to be obedient. We are asked to sacrifice so little, but in the end we are blessed in more ways than we can explain. It's worth it every time."

No comments: